BANG – International Film Animation Festival
The 3rd edition of the BANG AWARDS – International Film Animation Festival (BANG), with "Human Nature" as its main theme, it is promoted by the Municipality of Torres Vedras in Portugal and organised by Nau Identidade – Comunicação e Promoção Turística, Ltd. and produced by Slingshot – Comunicação e Multimédia, Ltd.
BANG aims to:
- Energise the Animation Film sector, as well as create an exhibition and promotional space for work of this genre;
- Create an environment where authors at the Festival can share knowledge and friendship;
- Consolidate the status of the Festival as a reference point, nationally, internationally and in Portuguese-speaking countries;
- Promote Torres Vedras;
- Involve the Animation community;
- Promote the cultural and tourist resources of Portugal;
- Contribute to the promulgation of the work of animators from Portuguese-speaking countries in an international context;
- Promote, through the BANG website, interaction between participants in the area of film animation and so motivate them to produce more material.
3. TARGET AUDIENCE
BANG is aimed at anyone interested in the area of film animation who fulfils the conditions and requirements for entry, at a national or international level, and who has work to present based on the competition themes. There is no restriction as to academic qualifications or the professional profile of the entrants.
4. CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
Entries may be submitted in one of two categories: ONLINE or OFFLINE.
Entries submitted and accepted in the OFFLINE category will only be exhibited at the Festival and will neither be shown nor exhibited on the website. Entries made in the OFFLINE category will not be eligible for the Online Prize.
Entries submitted and accepted in the ONLINE category will be exhibited at the Festival and on the website.
All entries, regardless of their category, will be in competition with each other.
The current edition of the Bang Awards Festival has chosen "Human Nature" as its inspirational theme.
Use of or reference to the Festival theme is not obligatory, but rather meant to serve as inspiration to prospective entrants. However, the Panel of Judges and the Organisers will give credit to authors whose films explore or refer to this theme.
We invite all participants to ask themselves searching questions about Human Nature! What is our role as human beings on this planet? How do we relate to one another? Do we fully understand what Human Nature actually means? What really is the nature of humans? (see supporting material on the website).
Participants may enter as individuals or as part of a group.
Participants should send original work, authored by them, created since 2014. This includes entries in the Open category.
Participants must be 18 years of age or older. If not, their entries will be disqualified.
5. SPECIFICATIONS FOR ENTRIES
Entries must be inserted in animation video genre (failure to do so will result in disqualification) and presented in digital format.
There are no restrictions as to the length of the animation videos.
- File types: WMV, AVI, MOV, MP4, up to 2 GB;
- Resolution: 1280x720 (HD)
6. ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
The entry will be considered valid if all of the following requirements are met:
- The Entry Form, available from the BANG website, has been completed by the participant;
- The participant agrees to and accepts the Festival Rules and Regulations, as well as the Agreement Governing the Submission of Entries (Conditions of Entry). This agreement and acceptance is assumed from the moment he or she clicks on "Agree". This action is an obligatory pre-condition for admission to BANG and it is assumed, when submitting his or her entry, that the participant has read and understood the Festival Rules and Regulations and the Agreement Governing the Submission of Entries (Conditions of Entry) of BANG;
- On submission of the Entry Form, the participant authorises his or her electronic address or other data contained therein be made available to the sponsors or other partners of Nau Identidade, so that the prizes may be decided / attributed. Nau Identidade will not sell, rent, lend, transfer, grant access to or surrender the participant's personal details to third parties, except to the sponsors and / or partners who have directly contributed to BANG or the website of same;
- The participant guarantees and affirms that all information supplied is true;
- The participant can request anonymity or use a pseudonym, as long as he or she provides the organisers with the correct details for the author of the entry.
6.1. ONLINE ENTRY FORM
- Postcode (Zipcode):
- Town / City:
- Date of birth:
- Identity Card / Passport Number:
(Please upload a copy of the entrant's identification document)
(Please upload a recent photo of the entrant)
6.2. UPLOAD VIDEO
- Author (individual or group):
- Synopsis (this must be in English; additional synopsis in Portuguese is optional):
- Screenshot (180 x 100px);
- English subtitles (optional)
- * I have read and I accept the Festival Rules and Regulations, as well as the Agreement Governing the Submission of Entries (Conditions of Entry).
6.3. CONDITIONS PRECLUDING PARTICIPATION (NON-ACCEPTANCE OF ENTRY)
- Non-fulfilment of the above;
- Entries and / or participants do not meet the required conditions;
- Entries whose e-mail reception date is after the closing date;
- Entries sent by means other than those stated in the Competition Rules and Regulations;
- Inclusion in the competition entry of any element likely to, amongst others, encourage discrimination against persons or people based on race, nationality, gender, profession, opinion, political or ideological beliefs, religion, incitement to crime or illegal activities.
7. DELIVERY AND DISPATCH OF THE ENTRY
The entry is formalised by completion of the entry form on the website. Upon reception, the participant will be sent an entry number.
The completed online entry form must be sent before the closing date and time – 23:59 (Portugal Continental Time - GMT) on the 5 September 2016.
8. IMPORTANT DATES
BANG Announcement: 9 June 2016
Entries: Between 9 June 2016 and 5 September 2016
Onlinevoting period: Between 9 June 2016 and 22 September 2016
Announcement of winners: 1 October 2016
9. FESTIVAL DATES
From 25 September and 2 October 2016, in the city of Torres Vedras, Portugal.
10. PANEL OF JUDGES
The judges have been selected in such a way as to be representative of the area of Video / Film Animation, nationally and internationally. The jury comprises actors, directors, producers and academics.
10.1. Panel of judges:
Filmmaker of the "Cinema du Desert" – showing films to people in some of the remotest villages in the world. After completing a Masters' degree in Visual Anthropology at Manchester University, he is now making documentaries.
Brazilian animator, director of the award winning short animation film: "Guida". He worked at Disney Studios for 6 years and, back in Brazil, she created "RR Animação de Filmes".
Award-winning Brazilian animated filmmaker, he is a trainer, curator, producer and coordinator of trailers in several countries.
Multi-talented Argentinian artist. His film, "The Scarecrow", won more than 20 global awards, and his work was longlisted for the 2005 Oscars.
André da Loba
Portuguese illustrator, animator, graphic designer, sculptor and educator, resident in Brooklyn, where he works and tries to change the world.
Indian animator. He has won awards for his work in publicity and is co-founder of the Ittina Animation Studio. He also founded the Goa Animation and Art School.
Luis da Matta Almeida
Portuguese animator. Founder of Animanostra; Zeppelin Films and Sparkline, among other companies. He has been part of dozens of films and has won international awards. He is a permanent member of the Board of Directors of "Cartoon".
Colombian animator and researcher. Coordinator of Animation at the Universidade Jorge Tadeo Lozano, in Bogota. Vice-President of special projects at ASIFA International.
Ulisses Dias da Silva
Director of the BANG AWARDS. He brings his experience as an actor and film producer to the management of "SLINGSHOT- Design e Produções Multimédia, Lda." and "NAU Identidade - Comunicação e Promoção Turística, Lda.".
Municipal Councillor for Torres Vedras, with responsibility for Culture. Her first degree is in Psychology and her Masters is in Educational Science. She is currently studying for a Doctorate in the History of Education.
10.2. JUDGES' CRITERIA (HOW WE WILL CHOOSE)
The BANG panel of judges will evaluate the entries using the following criteria:
- The originality and creativity of the entry;
- Techniques used in the direction / production of the entry;
The judges will decide by simple majority.
The judges' decision is final. No correspondence of any sort will be entered into.
The judges have the right to award "Honourable Mention" if they feel it is deserved.
- Bang Awards: City of Torres Vedras Grand Prize - awarded to the Best Film in the Festival: 10,000 euros
- Best Online Film (grant towards next production): 2,500 euros
- Best University Film
- Online Film Prize - Public Vote (grant towards next production): 2,000 euros
- Best Screenplay
- Best Original Soundtrack
12. CONDITIONS GOVERNING THE ATTRIBUTION OF PRIZES
12.1. GENERAL CONDITIONS
Films can be entered in one of two categories: ONLINE or OFFLINE.
Films submitted and accepted in the OFFLINE category will only be shown at the Festival and will not be shown nor exhibited on the website. Film entries in the OFFLINE category will not be eligible for the Online Prize.
Films submitted in the ONLINE category will be exhibited at the Festival and on the website.
All films, regardless of the category they are submitted under, will be in competition with each other.
The winners will be notified, by phone or by e-mail, and announced on the BANG website, on the date stated in Important Dates.
So as to fulfil the stated objective of promoting animated film production, the monetary prizes won in this edition must be used in some form for the winner's next production and will not be immediately awarded in cash. On receipt of the script for the new production, a production contract will be signed between the Bang Awards production company and the winner. The organisers of Bang Awards will not make value judgements in relation to the script of the new project, it will only guarantee its execution. To accomplish this, the money will be divided into three phases: 20% initial phase; 25% on the start of production and the final 55% on completion. If no new project is presented, the winner will not be entitled to receive any part of the monetary prize in any form, and will not be able to challenge this decision.
More than one prize may be awarded to the same entry, if the results from the panel of judges and the public vote coincide.
In the case of group entries, the prize is awarded by entry and not by participant.
The voting on the website will be managed exclusively by Nau Identidade, but the final decision of the panel of judges and the result of the public vote are not their responsibility.
The panel of judges will only have access to the data identifying the videos which appears online. They will not have the details of the participants themselves.
In order to be considered eligible for a prize, the participants may be required to sign agreements or to send documentation additional to the Agreement Governing the Submission of Entries, for legal reasons.
Any tax liability on the prize money, whether based on Portuguese or foreign fiscal laws, is the entire responsibility of the participant.
12.2. ONLINE PRIZE (Public vote)
Votes for the Public Prize will be cast online on the BANG website.
When casting their vote, a valid e-mail address will be requested. Only one vote per e-mail address will be accepted.
Visitors to the website and participants are strictly prohibited from manipulating or tampering with the voting process in any way whatsoever.
Nau Identidade will register all information with regard to the voting.
If Nau Identidade considers that any participant, or anyone in any way related to a participant, has used illegitimate means to influence, in any shape or form, the voting process, the participant's entry or entries will automatically be disqualified from the Festival.
13. AUTHORS' RIGHTS
On entering the Competition, all participants concede the intellectual property of their entries to the promoters and organisers, as long as they are to be used in contexts related, directly or indirectly, to BANG and the municipality of Torres Vedras.
The abovementioned contexts may have to do with dissemination, promotion or publicity, as long as they are not for profit.
Thus, the author authorises the use of the submitted entries by the promoters and organisers of BANG or third parties indicated by same, and renounces all and any type of financial compensation resulting from the use of his or her entry in the abovementioned circumstances.
On completing and submitting the Entry Form, the participant accepts, without reservation, the relinquishment of his or her authors' rights in the use of the entries under the terms of the Festival Rules and Regulations, as well as the Agreement Governing the Submission of Entries (Conditions of Entry) for BANG.
In addition to this, all video entries will bear the BANG Awards watermark, whether being shown on the BANG website or other platforms (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) so as identify and protect the works.
14. FINAL PROVISIONS
Nau Identidade reserves the right to change or alter the dates given in BANG Rules and Regulations, as well as to cancel same, without prior notice, without this implying any obligations or responsibilities for Nau Identidade or any other promoting body, including the value of the prize money.
Nau Identidade reserves the right to remove any competition entry at their sole discretion, at any time, including during the Competition, without prior notice, without this implying any obligations or responsibilities for Nau Identidade or any other promoting body, including the attribution of the prizes.
Nau Identidade reserves the right to remove any competition entry, choose not to publish it or change the prizes, dates or number of winners, at any time and without prior notice, without this implying any obligations or responsibilities for Nau Identidade or any other promoting body.
Nau Identidade reserves the right to not publish or accept Competition entries, without this implying any obligations or responsibilities for Nau Identidade or any other promoting body.
The participant should be able to supply Nau Identidade or any other promoter, if requested, with clarifications, contracts, permissions or publications of his or her entry.
The participant shall be responsible for his or her account or password, or any other confidential, personal and non-transmissable data relating to his or her entry. Not doing so makes him or her liable to having to indemnify Nau Identidade for the improper use of the data in his or her possession.
The cancellation of the entry by the Participant may only be effected up until the closing date referred to in Important Dates, or, in other words, until the voting process begins: 9 June 2016. Any such cancellation has to be submitted in writing and the document must be signed by the participant and sent to Nau Identidade.
Competition entry implies the unreserved acceptance of the Festival Rules and
Regulations, as well as the Agreement Governing the Submission of Entries (Conditions of Entry) for BANG.
Any non-compliance with any one of the terms or conditions of BANG Rules and Regulations or the Agreement Governing the Submission of Entries (Conditions of Entry), by any participant, will be deemed sufficient motive for his or her immediate exclusion from the Competition.
All and any instances or circumstances omitted in the BANG Rules and Regulations are covered by the Agreement Governing the Submission of Entries (Conditions of Entry) for BANG.
BANG IT NOW!